»

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The bad check quandary


Well, it was bound to happen....today DH got a call from the Sheriff's Department in our town, regarding a bad check that he had written. They told him that they've sent him a letter in the mail, and that he has "a little time" to clear things up and if he doesn't, a warrant will be issued for his arrest.

He's pretty upset about it. My thoughts kind of go along the line of "well what did you think would happen?" But there I go again, griping.

I know he didn't think he "could get away with it", or something dumb like that, but I also have to wonder, why on earth he would be so shocked and upset by this development, since he wrote the check in May, and they've been trying to collect the funds from him since June? The original check was for $51.00. Now, with fees and stuff, it's $189.00.

The quandary that I speak of, well, it's mine. Even though at first blush, the problem seems to be DH's, I don't know what to do. I can dip into my Christmas money and pay it for him, which would bring him peace of mind and I wouldn't have to worry about feeling bad, etc....or I can let him deal with the consequences of his behavior(s) himself.

He has had so many opportunities to take care of these checks (yes, I know there will be more coming down the pipeline, and that's another aspect of the quandary). Even when he was working and off getting all the stupid tattoos and drinking and such, he did have the money to take care of this. And Jim's given him money that he's spent on pop that he "needs", and cigs that he "needs". In my non-mentally-ill book, it seems like he set his priorities and that was that. He made his bed, now he can lie in it, right?

Or not...he's been doing somewhat better in the last few weeks, he's no longer working, basically I am the only one who can save him, unless Jim has any money left....so what to do????

Unfortunately, I will probably elect to bail him out, because even through all my disgust and tough-love logic, I would still feel bad if he went to jail around Christmas or any time, because he was mentally ill and unable to foresee the consequences of his actions....

I hate this. I really do.

1 comments:

Pann said...

That is quite a quandary. I didn't realize that a bad check could increase in value so much.

Maybe he can bargain down to a lower amount of fees?

I wouldn't be able to let my hubs end up in jail, either, even if it was his own foolishness (and it's really not his foolishness, it's his bipolar...)